"She Had Rose Bud Lips and a Baby on Her Hips"

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, October 31, 2011

A Look Inside My Little World

Greetings!
Well, my brain has been churning and festering over several things lately. As you all know it is Halloween today. I am sitting in my kitchen listening to Thomas the Train upstairs, and How to Train a Dragon downstairs. I have one sick boy on a couch bed, and the other very, very cranky one staying upstairs away from the sickly one. I'm sure Raegan is next in line to be sick, which most likely means, so am I. Riley is very sad he is too sick to go to school today, he and I had bought some bracelets and pencils to give to his classmates tied together with string for Halloween. I promised him we'd still go drop them off. Plus, since he's technically not going to school today I'm going to let him wear his costume while bringing in the gifts, and since the kids don't get to wear their costumes to school today, he will be ultimately the coolest. I think it makes up for having to miss out on a fun day at school. Riley's costume is Maverick from Top Gun. He looks so handsome in it, it scares me how good lookin' that boy is.



Am I right or am i right?!
You don't want to know how much that thing cost me. Raegan is hopefully going to be Superman. Last year when all of the costumes went on clearance I bought the boys some for fun to play in and Raegan still wears his Superman one. He has taken a liking, or obsession rather, to Thomas the Train in the last few months and I bought him a Thomas costume but he refused to even try it on. Go figure. So we're going to try with Superman, which by the way he looks hilarious in. I do not as of yet have a picture of him in it but I do have a picture of him in these ridiculous superhero pajamas.

They crack me up.
With all of this talk of Halloween I have found myself growing more and more bothered by the entire "Holiday." I don't even like calling it that. I just think it is dark and makes our children susceptible to things in a manner in which they begin to accept them as okay. Pretending to be dead, or demons, or ghosts and witches for that matter, in my opinion are not OK. I was horrified to hear my son come home for school asking to make our home haunted and to put ghosts and witch's cauldron's all over. How does he even know what any of that is? I just think "playfully" getting into all of that is like playing with fire. I never would have thought I'd become such a conservative mother! I know my mom will laugh at reading that.  But I feel strongly that the Lord has placed these concerns on my heart and so I am doing my best to follow his will. 

I heard someone say on the radio that they felt like Halloween was a celebration of death and they chose to celebrate life on Halloween. I like that, I'm sticking with that concept. So we are going trick or treating for just a little bit, and then depending on how Riley's feeling, we'll either hand out candy at home or make an appearance at our church's Fall Festival. That works for me just fine. Everyone wins that way. I'm happy to have found something that my kids have fun with and I still feel like I'm protecting their innocence for a bit longer. If you do your research on Halloween, it really is a weird holiday. But, I still love the excuse to wear a fun costume and get some free candy. I will get some pictures of the boys tonight and put them on here. I didn't mean to get so intense about a holiday and I'm sure some of you think I'm very opinionated (I am) but I want to make sure it's known I want my children to enjoy this day and not to ever feel left out because of our beliefs but rather that they learn to be conscious of every decision they make. With that being said, be safe and Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment